MBA Consulting Group offers a competitive salary, a strong benefits package, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants may submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or by applying below.
DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING AND TAXES
MBA Consulting Group is a compliance and accounting firm serving the progressive community. Our team-based approach is unique in the compliance community. We believe that by focusing on our employee’s wellbeing and workplace culture and working together as a team toward a common goal, we empower our employees to deliver above average services. Therefore, in addition to the following duties and qualifications, we ask that each employee positively impact the culture of the company through a strong work ethic, and willingness to help their coworkers.
We strongly encourage people of marginalized identities to apply.
The Deputy Director of Accounting and Taxes is responsible for reviewing the overall accounting practices of the firm, troubleshooting accounting issues as they arise and preparing tax filings for clients to ensure accounting projects are completed on schedule, within scope/budget and within the firm’s quality standards. Key responsibilities include client accounting audits, tax preparation, internal and external consulting on accounting practices, mentoring team members and contribution to the firm’s development and marketing activities. Essential functions include:
- Prepare/review monthly and quarterly sales tax returns
- Prepare/review annual state franchise tax returns
- Prepare/review Form 1120POL
- Prepare/review Form 990/990EZ
- Manage accounting services for the client, including but not limited to, processing accounts receivable/payable, journal entries, and reviewing financial statements
- Lead the development and execution of new internal audit procedures
- Answer tax, audit, and accounting questions as they come up for our client teams
- Ad-hoc projects within the scope of your responsibilities
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines
- Excellent work ethic and ability to self-manage
- Effective written and communication skills
- Excel/Google Sheets
- Strong attention to detail
- Ethical, values integrity
- Enjoys working closely with others of diverse backgrounds and personalities
- Oversees the accounting and tax department staff in fulfilling their responsibilities
- Helps the team when they need support and can teach them when they need to learn new tasks
Washington, D.C. office
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Full-time Exempt; 40 hours per week (subject to increase during an election “on” year and during filing and tax periods involving evenings and weekends).
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Active CPA License or current status as an Enrolled Agent (EA) with the IRS
- A good understanding of GAAP and its practical application in a corporate setting
- 3 – 5 years of experience in a tax, audit, or accounting role, preferably with non-profit organizations
- Strong experience with Excel (vlookup, hlookup, pivot tables, etc.)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
MBA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
MBA Consulting Group, a compliance and accounting firm serving the progressive community, is hiring an Associate. This role has the opportunity to be based in DC or embedded on one of our campaign accounts. This position will report to the Compliance Director and will be responsible for general bookkeeping and maintaining the compliance database for our clients. Duties include:
- Process campaign contributions into compliance database and screening for compliance issues
- Reconcile bank accounts, reconcile book balance to reporting balance
- Generate simplified income and expense reports as needed
- Track and process expenses for campaign
- Interact with vendors and maintain vendor files including insurance files
- Correspond with vendors and donors on client’s behalf
The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior experience with political organizations
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 2 years’ campaign experience, experience with state or federal campaign finance law compliance preferred
- Experience in Excel
- Knowledge of compliance database software, NGP preferred
- Experienced in use of internet, social media and online search engines
- Excellent communications skills required, both written and verbal
- Attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and competing demands
- Ability to be dynamic and adapt to meet the organization’s changing needs
- Must be ethical and value integrity, be able to pass a background check
- Enjoy working closely with others of diverse backgrounds and personalities.